Misadventures in travel
Never book back to back flights. Ever.
But, that's how things worked out. I normally travel to Wisconsin for the 4th of July to hang out with my parents. I altered my plans so that I would arrive in Green Bay around the same time as my sister. So, I booked the flight.
Problem #1 - My sister fucked up the schedule and realized that she couldn't come in until the next day. So, i shelled out the $150 to adjust my own flight plan. I decided to come in the previous weekend and spend more time with the parents. Unfortunately, I forgot why I didn't do this originally. I didn't actually have the available PTO. Oops. That's gonna be a chat with the boss.
Thanks sis.
Problem #2 - I was scheduled to get home Saturday around 6pm, and depart the next day for OSCON at noon. That would give me time to do laundry, and organize my flight & hotel info, which I had forgotten since I booked all that 3 months ago. No problem. Except that I got fucked in Green Bay, and ended up getting home at 1am, and didn't get to sleep until 3am.
Fuck you Green Bay. I hate that fucking airport. TSA is so much worse at smaller airports. At least at the larger airports they realize they have to deal with volume, and generally can't fuck around with full body searches on a regular basis. The TSA folks at Green Bay are bored. Guess what that means for you?
Problem #3 - I can't find my fucking hotel information. I can't even remember if I booked a hotel. Why can't I remember? I don't fucking know. Maybe I'm getting senile. But between work, scrum master training, travel alterations to Wisconsin, getting home at a ridiculous hour, and my inability to find anything about a hotel reservation in my work or yahoo mail accounts, it's no wonder. I end up calling Boulder Travel and booking a hotel at the last minute. So all is well, right?
Not so fast. It turns out I *did* book a hotel that I completely forgot about. Only I don't discover it until I'm already back from the conference. I might have found the reservation if I had not sent the information to my gmail account, something I never do normally. I use my yahoo account for that shit. I also might have been been able to find my reservation information if I had more time. But no, I got fucked in Green Bay, remember? I *also* might have been able to mitigate the damage if I had found the information while I was at OSCON. But no, the wireless access at OSCON was worthless at OSCON for the first two days, and by then it was too late.
Mind you, I wouldn't have had to deal with any of this bullshit if my employer booked my hotel information for me instead of just my flight, but that's another story.
But mostly I'm just mad at myself for not only not remembering that I booked a hotel, but that I didn't find the information until it was too late.
Let's hope that the hotel is merciful and will refund my money.
But, that's how things worked out. I normally travel to Wisconsin for the 4th of July to hang out with my parents. I altered my plans so that I would arrive in Green Bay around the same time as my sister. So, I booked the flight.
Problem #1 - My sister fucked up the schedule and realized that she couldn't come in until the next day. So, i shelled out the $150 to adjust my own flight plan. I decided to come in the previous weekend and spend more time with the parents. Unfortunately, I forgot why I didn't do this originally. I didn't actually have the available PTO. Oops. That's gonna be a chat with the boss.
Thanks sis.
Problem #2 - I was scheduled to get home Saturday around 6pm, and depart the next day for OSCON at noon. That would give me time to do laundry, and organize my flight & hotel info, which I had forgotten since I booked all that 3 months ago. No problem. Except that I got fucked in Green Bay, and ended up getting home at 1am, and didn't get to sleep until 3am.
Fuck you Green Bay. I hate that fucking airport. TSA is so much worse at smaller airports. At least at the larger airports they realize they have to deal with volume, and generally can't fuck around with full body searches on a regular basis. The TSA folks at Green Bay are bored. Guess what that means for you?
Problem #3 - I can't find my fucking hotel information. I can't even remember if I booked a hotel. Why can't I remember? I don't fucking know. Maybe I'm getting senile. But between work, scrum master training, travel alterations to Wisconsin, getting home at a ridiculous hour, and my inability to find anything about a hotel reservation in my work or yahoo mail accounts, it's no wonder. I end up calling Boulder Travel and booking a hotel at the last minute. So all is well, right?
Not so fast. It turns out I *did* book a hotel that I completely forgot about. Only I don't discover it until I'm already back from the conference. I might have found the reservation if I had not sent the information to my gmail account, something I never do normally. I use my yahoo account for that shit. I also might have been been able to find my reservation information if I had more time. But no, I got fucked in Green Bay, remember? I *also* might have been able to mitigate the damage if I had found the information while I was at OSCON. But no, the wireless access at OSCON was worthless at OSCON for the first two days, and by then it was too late.
Mind you, I wouldn't have had to deal with any of this bullshit if my employer booked my hotel information for me instead of just my flight, but that's another story.
But mostly I'm just mad at myself for not only not remembering that I booked a hotel, but that I didn't find the information until it was too late.
Let's hope that the hotel is merciful and will refund my money.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home